Rss

ya gotta start somewhere…

Home Forums Share Your View! ya gotta start somewhere…

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Mary Fleener
      Participant

The development of the Pacific School site will take time and energy, but what I would love to see, as soon as the transfer of property is realized, is a small “Legacy Garden” started somewhere. It doesn’t have to be huge, and it doesn’t have to edibles. The asphalt could be torn up, chopped into manageable pieces, and stacked for a raised growing area without use of concrete. 1. It would be easy to do and cost nothing…I can think of dozens of people who would happily donate plants. Succulents would be ideal. 2. It would show a community interest, and even a modest effort such as this, would inspires others. 3. A garden such as this could be modified or removed to suit other plans and designs. 4. If there ever was a kid friendly project, this is it!

Jax Might
      Participant

My vision for the View is to turn it into an edible community garden that everyone can participate in and benefit from including local businesses. It would be run by the people for the people. My other vision, which could totally fuse together, would be to create a multi-purpose area that could be home to different community groups, studios for dance and art, and also be a space for inspirational events like frequent TedTalks and call-to-action events.

Christian Marcotte
      Participant

I also am in favor of using the building and property to provide a home for for various community groups. I would like to see some art elements but NOT just/mostly art. I want a community center for the downtown, something that becomes a social hub for the kid with after school programs and other families programs.

I want this to be a safe and inspiring place for children to hang out, share, learn
      and play. A community garden that can be a model of backyard garden for everyone.
      A place where you can lean how to plan, what to plant, when to plant/harvest etc… with classes. I want o see classes on “building your backyard chicken coop” and “raising your own chicken… fresh eggs!” and backyard beekeeping and lots of cool arts classes with clay (we should have some pottery turntables and the ability to glaze and fire up pieces). I can think of chess classes for kids and other for adults and a chess club, a D&D club (people still do that?), a photography club with classes, a lego building club a Arduino / Raspberry pi club, a maker club where we get together and discuss building projects big and small Making!

I’m talking about the MAKER movement. Expression of inner creativity in the material world. It is art with an expanded toolbox, using anything and everything to build and create things.
      TED talk Katie Rast is the Director of Fab Lab San Diego on “the maker and education (methodology)”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maker_culture
      http://www.raisinggeeks.com/blog/maker-movement/

In short, I would like to see pacific view become a center for sharing/learning/community and enjoyment at the heart of Encinitas.

Thanks again to all of you who helped make this happen!
      – Christian

Lynn Autumn
      Participant

Great comments! Mary, I love your idea of beginning with removing excess blacktop and starting a community garden ASAP, using some of the broken-up asphalt for raised beds.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.